Wednesday, February 12, 2014

An (Easy!) Dinner For My Valentine

Valentine’s Day is Friday and, as usual, the Scotsman and I aren’t doing anything. It’s not because we don’t enjoy spending time together, it’s just that we don’t need a holiday to remind us to do it. That said, I only need the tiniest excuse to make something special for dinner, so Friday I’ll be making Turkey Sausage and Goat Cheese Lasagna.

The Scotsman has been requesting this a lot lately. I find this odd because he says he hates pasta. How can a pasta-hater love this dish? How can someone who loves this dish write off pasta as a food group? Anyway, since I love it too, I’m just going with it and not asking questions. It’s an Ina Garten recipe that I’ve modified. I love the Barefoot Contessa (many of my “signature dishes” are riffs on hers) but I find she over complicates things. This is my streamlined version of her recipe, which I think tastes just as good, with half the prep time.

It’s not something that’s in our regular meal rotation as four types of cheeses means it has a zillion calories. But it’s my go-to for occasions that call for a special recipe. Serve with salad and garlic bread. I’m going to top off the meal with this yummy looking cake from Modern Mrs. Darcy. Enjoy!

TURKEY SAUSAGE AND GOAT CHEESE LASAGNA

2 Tbs Olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 gloves garlic, minced
3 links sweet Italian turkey sausage
1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1.5 Tbs Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
1 box “no-boil” lasagna noodles
15-oz ricotta cheese
4-oz goat cheese, crumbled
1 cup Parmesan, grated
1 egg
1 lb fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced

Preheat your oven to 400®F.

Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion and cook on medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.

Add the sausage to the pan by squeezing it out of its casing, breaking it up with a large spoon as you go. Cook until the sausage is cooked and no longer pink.

Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered over medium heat for 15 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.

In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, goat cheese, Parmesan and egg.

In a 9x13 dish (or 2 8x8 dishes – eat one now and freeze the other for another day. I do it all the time!). Layer as follows, ending with a third sauce layer: sauce, noodles, mozzarella slices, ricotta mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Plate?