Friday, February 21, 2014

Hello. My Name is Diana and I'm a Cookbook Addict.

My Cookbook Collection

I love  cookbooks. It’s an addiction. Curling up with a good cookbook is my idea of a good time, especially if you throw in a crackling fire and a glass of wine. It’s where I get inspiration for my kitchen experiments as well as your average weeknight dinner. Between Snowmageddon and the boys being on school break, I’ve been home a lot this week. I’ve been paging through my collection planning some fun I the kitchen for the weekend. Sadly, I’ve had to do it without the crackling fire as the wood pile is buried under a couple of feet of snow. But I did have my wine ;-)

Here are some of my favorites that I come back to again and again:

Dinner: A Love Story by Jenny Rosenstrach

Jenny Rosenstrach "gets it". We all want yummy, healthy, easy and quick to make meals because with kids and a job and a million other things it's hard to get a good meal on the table.  The recipes I've tried have been easy, quick and my picky little munchkins have not rejected a single one. I’m able to make many of them with things already in my fridge or pantry - perfect for those nights when planning dinner is a big fail. Last night I made Lazy Bolognaise and it was delicious. I wish I'd made more to freeze for another dinner.

The charm of Dinner: A Love Story is not just in the recipes. Rosenstrach is a gifted writer and supplements the book with laugh out loud stories that make you realize that there are people out there just like you - struggling to get a good meal on the table but making it a priority to at least try - and Jenny is one of them.
Feast by Nigella Lawson
I am firmly on Team Nigella.  The poor little lamb really has been through the ringer lately, hasn’t she? Anyway, I consider a Nigella Lawson cookbook recreational reading. The descriptions for each of her recipes bring personality to the dish and gives you a little glimpse of Nigella’s life. Some favorites from this book are the Mini Meatloaves, Lemon Roast Chicken and of course, the Everyday Brownies that gave me hope that I can bake without a visit from the fire department.
Barefoot Contessa Family Style by Ina Garten
I was first to introduced to Ina Garten shortly after I got married. My step-mother gave me Family Style after I asked for the recipe for the turkey meatloaf she made when we went to visit my parents (it’s in the book.) It started my love of all things Barefoot Contessa and I now own all of her books, but Family Style is the one I use the most. The pages are stained and gross, but to me that’s just a sign it’s well loved. My Turkey Sausage and Goat Cheese Lasagna and Chicken Pot Pie are from this book. It also has the best meatball recipe I’ve come across. The recipes aren’t very figure friendly, but for special occasions and comfort food emergencies this book never fails.
What are some of your favorite cookbooks?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Plate?