Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Reading Challenge: Success or Not Challenging Enough?

Library books are like buses. You wait and wait and not a single one comes along. Then three come at once. I’ve been on the waiting list for three ebooks at my library for well over a month. I received an email yesterday letting me know that all three were mine for the next twenty one days. I’m going to do my best to squish them all in as it makes me sad to return a library book without finishing it.

I worried about how the heck I was going to read three book in three books and then I noticed something odd on my Goodreads profile. It turns out that I’ve reached my “2013 Reading Challenge” goal of 25 books already. Given that I only joined the challenge in late January and didn’t record any of the books I read earlier that month, I must be averaging 1.3 books a week. Who knew? Certainly not me! Obviously I’m not challenging myself enough. I like a good challenge so I’m deciding what to do next. Up my Goodreads challenge to 75 books? Broaden my horizons by reading a genre I’ve never been crazy about (but what would be the fun in that?) Do something totally different?

Below is a list of the 25 books I read as part of the challenge with the star ratings I gave them on Goodreads. We have a quiet weekend ahead of us so I plan to spend lots of time in the kitchen. Recipes to come!

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen – 4 stars
Inferno by Dan Brown – 3.5 stars
Plenty: One Man, One Woman And A Raucous Year of Eating Locally by Alisa Smith – 4 stars
The Sacred Cipher by Terry Brennan – I chose not to rate this one.
I’ll Take What She Has by Samantha Wilde – 3 stars (read for one of my two in-person book clubs)
The Girls Guide To Love And Supper Clubs by Dana Bate – 4 stars (really cute with lots of yummy food)
The Racketeer by John Grisham – 3 stars (read for Goodreads bookclub)
The Fate of Mercy Alban by Wendy Webb – 4 stars (the perfect grown-up ghost story)
Where’d You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple – 4 stars
Caleb’s Crossing by Geraldine Brooks – 3 stars
A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes From My Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg – 4 stars
The Red Velvet Cupcake Murder by Joanne Fluke – 3 stars (sometimes I like a little fluff but this was not one of Fluke’s best)
Gods Lions: The Dark Ruin by John Lyman – 3 stars
Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson – 5 stars
The Cinnamon Roll Murder by Joanne Fluke – 3 stars (ok, I’ve been reading a lot of fluff lately)
The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen – 4 stars (my new favorite author)
Dead Anyway by Chris Knopf – 3 stars
The Devil’s Grin by Annelie Wendeberg – 3 stars
MWF Seeking BFF by Rachel Bertsche – 4 stars (read it for a Goodreads bookclub thinking I would hate it. I ended up rally liking it.)
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling – 3 stars (read for in-person bookclub called The Gratuitous Bookclub)
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café by Fannie Flagg – 4 stars
The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin – 3 stars
Deadly Pedigree by Jimmy Fox – 3 stars (won in a LibraryThing giveway)
Finding Camlann by Sean Pidgeon – 4 stars
Proof of Heave: A Neurosurgeons Journey Into the Afterlife by Eben Alexander – 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Plate?