Thursday, June 6, 2013

Project Simplify

Folks, I’ve been feeling a little overwhelmed lately. I feel like my to-do list is never ending; things that need to be cleaned, errands that need to be run, things to remember for the boys, gifts to buy. I look around my house and I see clutter everywhere. Jake and Ben's rooms are still a disaster area. The kitchen island is a dumping ground. The dust bunnies under our bed are almost bigger than the cats.

Yet I've done nothing to remedy any of this.

After a lot of thinking I've come to two conclusions. The first is that I have so many tasks on my mental to-do list that I don't know where to start. The second realization is that my perfectionist tendencies are getting in the way. I know I don't have the time to make things my version of "perfect" so I don't do anything at all. I need to change that way of thinking. Poking around the interwebs for inspiration I have come across two mantras that I need to take to heart; "progress, not perfection" and "don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough".

With that in mind, I've embarked on my own little Project Simplify. I am taking baby steps at taking control of the clutter, both physical and mental. Over the past few days I've taken two little steps. I've unsubscribed from all of my junk email - you know, those promotional emails you get every day because you ordered one thing from the company for a gift three years ago. They have been filling up my inbox recently making me groan every time I switch on my computer in the morning. Three days later, I have just a few emails that I actually want to read and some mental clutter is cleared. Woo hoo! I've also been taking a few things off the kitchen island every time I go into the room and putting them away, rather than trying to clear the whole mess at once. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I'm satisfied by this, rather than worrying about all of the things I didn't put away.

My goal is to have a less cluttered, more streamlined house and to-do list by the time the boys go back to school in the Fall. But it's progress I'm after, not perfection :-)

I've been reading a few blogs for inspiration. Here are some of my favorites:




How Do You Control The Clutter In Your Home?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's On Your Plate?